Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I Am Not Enough, and I Am Too Much

So I'm clearing out a bunch of stuff, and in the process I ran across some pages torn out of old notebooks.  This is stuff I didn't want to throw out (when I threw out the notebooks), but I don't want it floating around my desk, apartment, etc...so this is where I'll keep it.

When I start to get healthy, all my strengths surface -- terrifyingly.

I start to think big thoughts, to dream big dreams, to have things to say, wrongs to confront...books to write...

And then I realize that to fully realize any of those big, beautiful things in me will take a LOT of risk.  It won't be safe.  People will oppose.  It will take work -- research, late nights, hard labor -- and I might even be wrong.

And...all that work, I fear, will exhaust me.  I'll only fall back into my dormant state of disease and depression -- and the work won't get done anyway, so why bother?

So I squelch it.  Usually by accelerating the cycle and crashing as quickly as possible. Dormancy is a lot more comfortable than action.

That's what has to change -- I have to decide I'd rather live in action than dormancy.

What will that take?  Courage.  Tears.  Conviction.  Rest (strategic rest -- Sabbath plus!)  Certainty.  Study.  Prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment