Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hello, Future Me!

An open email to myself,
five years in the future.

To make sure I get it, I'm also

sending it out at FutureMe.org.

______________________________

Dear Future Me:

I can see you today, when I close my eyes. You're driving a blue pickup truck on an open highway. All I can see is the part that shows through the window, but you have that long braid down your back -- the one I've been trying FOREVER to grow -- your shoulders are narrower, your face more defined and prettier, and there's a lot more room between you and the steering wheel than I have now.

You're on your way to the next city, to set up another After School Club, or maybe a Cottage School, for homeless kids. The first fledgling program, at Joshua Station, starts in a couple of weeks (my time) -- but by the time you read this there may be a dozen or more. When you get to the city, you'll make connections; you'll speak and write and meet and do whatever it takes to gather a community around the cause of education for homeless children. You'll work with those new friends to create something beautiful. Again. And again at the next place. And again and again.

Behind the truck you're towing a tiny house, with a bicycle on the porch. God only knows (and I look forward to finding out) what's inside the house: a guitar, a djembe, a spinning wheel? A telescope, maybe some canvases and paint? It's going to be fun to see what stays, what goes and what is added as I pursue and define the lovely, simple, mobile life I long for.

There will always be resistance, and it may never get easy, but from here your life looks so sweet. Here at the beginning of the story, there's mostly paralyzing fear. Fear of failure, fear of hard work, fear of being alone in the hard work and also failing alone. Fear of the thing I've never been, however beautiful it might claim to be. What if I heard God wrong? Fear that when I get to heaven he'll shake his head and say something like "What were you thinking?"

The smile on your face today says you fought through it. You're doing what you were born to do, and you know it. If it's possible that it works this way (and some of my friends who are WAY into physics think it might be), please pray for me. No one but you and God knows what it's going to take to get from here to there, but it's do-able, and it's worth it. This much even *I* know.

Some "inciting incidents" were put into motion recently, before I even knew what an "inciting incident" was. The Shrink-A-Thon is probably the most obvious, public one -- 400 of my family and friends are watching via Facebook as I lose this weight, and a bunch of them are actually pledging money per pound to benefit the After School Club at Joshua Station. Yikes. At the very least, it's keeping me from quitting on the good food and exercise. And having other people's money flowing toward the education program means that quitting on that isn't an option, either.

Future Lori, if you're still struggling, please don't give up. You do *not* want to end up back where I am now. If you're ever tempted to turn around, think about Griselda's face when she read her first whole sentence, or Marco's laughter when he realized he could actually *do* addition. Or you can think about any of the (hundreds?) of kids you've worked with in the time since I wrote this.

And, dear one, remember Dad's story. There were some great scenes...the children's home, the tutoring, the way he encouraged us to see our lives as blank slates on which anything could be written...but his last chapter was long and boring and all about sickness and death. And his death was long and boring and stupid and tragic. I can say that because I know he's okay now, and if he can see what I'm writing he agrees.

I'm standing at a crossroads, with a choice between your story and Dad's. I choose your story, Future Lori -- I choose Beautiful You.

The doctors all say that my diabetes is reversible, so you probably don't even have it. You're healthy and active and you get down on the floor with the kids. You say "yes" when friends invite you for hikes and on trips, you can go on the rides at amusement parks, and you explore the cities you visit on foot and on your bike. You have time and energy to sew the clothes you've always wanted to wear. You have space on your lap for the children you love.

And there's so much more to come -- eye has not seen.

I'm going to go and copy this off to you at FutureMe, but before I do I want to tell you two more things:

1) I'm sorry it's taken me so long to make the choices that will bring you into being.
2) You're welcome.

-- Lori, 2010

P.S. When we meet, let's write an email to Old Lady Us. You can probably see her a little more clearly than I can. All I can make out is a long, gray braid down her back, her bicycle, and her smile.

_____________________________

Last year Don Miller came through Denver, talking about his book A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. He pretty much gave away the store in his talk, inspiring us all to "live a better story," and it hit me hard. I really got it. I thought I probably wouldn't need to read the book.

Since then I've stayed stuck in the same depressing story, so last week I bought the book anyway, and I read it in one sitting. I haven't done that since I was nine years old and the book was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Here's a hint: if the table of contents makes you cry, you need to read the book. A Million Miles in A Thousand Years provides language to talk about what we all really want to do -- live a GREAT story -- and courage to get up and do it.

In September Don is hosting a conference called "Live A Better Story," and I'm not making the same mistake again -- if there's more to soak up, call me Spongebob. I'm especially interested in taking some focused time to come up with specific action steps.

This post is my entry in a contest to win a trip to Portland for the conference!

Here's a link to information on the conference: Living a Better Story Conference

And here's Don himself to tell you all about it:


Living a Better Story Seminar from All Things Converge Podcast on Vimeo.

31 comments:

  1. Lori, what a beautiful post!!! Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing and I'm praying you win the trip!!!
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pictures! Those really add to the story! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, Congratulations on WINNING the trip to Portland for Don's Seminar! Your entry post is brilliantly written and I am totally cheering for you! Your vision for making education accessible for homeless children is worthy, needed, and will exemplify God's Glory. I pray that you steep in the encouragement you get at Don's seminar in Portland. And that when you leave, you have all sorts of tools & blueprints overflowing out of your suitcase! I know God will bless you for pursuing this vision. Again, Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, thank you. The world needs more people like you, with caring hearts and big dreams. I just reread my own entry to Don Miller's contest, then read yours. The difference - mine was very self-centered; yours is others-centered. Then I clicked on the Shrink-a-thon link in your post. You've even managed to make losing weight and getting healthy a service for others. Thanks for loving people, and for showing me how far I still have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attagirl Lori! What a great story-in-progress. I'm inspired by it's size; mine seems small in comparison. I hope to meet you in Portland. May God grant you great success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Father God,

    I lift up my sister Lori and ask that you give her peace. I pray for contentment in who she is as a new creation. I pray for eyes that see her preciousness in spite of her weight.

    I ask that you would give her a holy discontent that drives her to discipline her flesh to live a life free of gluttony, worry, and excuses. I pray that her vision for a mobile after school care for homeless kids be a tremendous success that brings You glory. I ask that in the midst of Lori getting healthy and becoming successful that she discipline her vain senses so as not to be drawn to anything but your Son.

    AMEN

    Lori, congratulations, I can't wait to read your story in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the other entries, but I'm tearing all over the place. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contrats on winning the trip. So happy for you. I look forward to following your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Lori - love the dream and can't wait to hear it lived!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lori,

    I'm one of your fellow "contestants" and I just finished reading your future. Inspiring. I'm so hopeful and glad for you. I prayed from the beginning that God would help just the right person win. I'm so happy for you. What a great gift... to be chosen by God to take the next step toward a dream. I suppose we all have the opportunity to receive the same gift... the rest of us will just receive it in a different way. So, with a full and thankful heart I say, enjoy your time in Portland. Enjoy your adventure. Enjoy the journey of this next chapter in your story. Your story sounds like a good one!

    My very best regards,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lori, I LOVE your story, I am so excited for you winning this. Your heart for homeless students is one of my passions as well-and I live in a place that doesn't even have a homeless shelter. Irving, TX could use you :) Loved your story, and so proud you are pursuing health! congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this, Lori, and I just wanted to say - congratulations! I loved your vision and you couldn't have written it more beautifully. God will get you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori,

    I just posted a comment to you on Don's blog before I realized posting to your blog would probably be the best way to make sure you see it.

    I'm a fellow contestant - and I have to tell you that your entry has moved me in a deep and meaningful way. I love your vision. I love the way you write so tenderly to "future Lori". I can take a lesson from you on that. In fact, I have a feeling I can probably take lessons from you on quite a few things.

    If you haven't already - go visit the comments on Donald Miller's blog today. You have some fans...and this Oklahoma girl is one of them. Please keep blogging. And live that story, Lori.

    I'm a reader. I've long been captivated by stories. And Lori - you're my newest favorite character. :)

    God bless you...and thank you for letting us into your story.

    Kristen in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Lori! So glad you won the trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on a well deserved win! This dream of yours sounds fantastic. I wish you all the best and hope that you have a fabulous time in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on conquering your fears, chasing your dreams & eloquently presenting your vision to change the lives of kids. Your voice is inspiring, your vision is life-changing! Like a splash in a pond, ripples will multiply in cities & towns throughout our world. TY LORI!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Lori! Great post. Have a wonderful time in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lori,
    I heard about your vision on the Donald Miller site and I wanted to offer my congratulations! After reading your letter to your future self you inspired me to continue in my dream for myself. We can do it! Also I wanted to say that when I saw the picture of the tiny house and read about how you want to live in one I got so excited because that's part of my vision too! I love tiny houses and the simple life! May God bless and protect you in everything you do!

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lori - I absolutely love your letter to future beautiful you from currently beautiful you! Blessings to you! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I know that you'll be able to live the story you want! I think your goals are just wonderful. Fwiw, that very same book inspired me to quit the tranquilizers I've been addicted to for 11 years. My story is already getting much better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to you! You are beautiful! May God richly bless your time in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on winning the contest. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so happy for you!! Keep on living your story and don't stop creating new chapters!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lori,
    BTW I loved Don's book also and thought about writing a post about it on my blog. I'd like to include your post. I could not find any contact info for you.... Contact me via my website if you do not want it included in a post: Inspired to Write (Http://www.inspiredtowrite.com)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lori--I entered the contest too but if I had a choice, I would have given it to you. Congratulations--the best one won. Have fun in Portland and I wish you lots of success!

    (donnaxander.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Lori!

    Wow this was beautiful. I love your approach! Writing to your future self. I should try that sometime. Congrats on the win Portland is an amazing city. I hope you'll come to love it as I have. Blessings on ya girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lori, you sure grew up to be a sweet, creative, intelligent, inspiring girl. I'm not really surprised. When you were a kid, I could see kindness in you. I felt so depressed being sadistically abused by your father and mother in their "childrens home" but your kind smile and humor would cheer me up. It really struck me how a girl could be decent when raised by evil parents. It brought me cheer to read how your dad died a slow death. He's burning in hell right now for his crimes against children. I'm sorry. Fortunately, you are different from them -- like night and day -- and I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wish I could contact you, ultragabacho...without knowing your real name, I can't remember you from our childhood time, and I'd like to. Not sure what to do next...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lori, it's Lennie. I've remembered you fondly over the years. I'm at hiamitai@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lori, you are already taking the necessary steps to reach this YOU! What a beautiful and inspiring story and look forward to peeling away the layers that have clouded this woman for so long. It is your time to shine! I support you! xoxox

    Paris!

    ReplyDelete