Tuesday, March 24, 2009

This goes deeper than I thought.

Haven't posted for three weeks. I've been pretty confused.

I have tried, during this season, to eliminate all distractions from achieving my goals. As I've gone along, however, it seems more and more that what I'm really trying to do is to sort out all the voices in my head. Now I think I'm mostly trying to figure out who I really am and what I really want.

Lately I've hit some pretty bad stretches of depression. See, the more I force out the other voices (family, friends, "ministry" concerns, all the "shoulds"), the more it seems that there's nothing else. Nothing at all.

My apartment is messier than ever, I barely care about getting dressed in the morning, I'm gaining weight (that's what happens when you eat crap and are nearly motionless a lot of the time), and my mind doesn't even seem to be working right. My memory's bad, I can't prioritize, and absolutely EVERYTHING overwhelms me. I'm talkin' about...putting on my shoes overwhelms me. Everything.

I feel ridiculous. Embarassed. Scared that it won't get any better because there doesn't seem to be anything driving improvement. But I don't want to go backward. I really have to go forward on this path, or no change will ever be deep or permanent.

So here goes. What do I want? What do I really want?

I could say that I want a clean apartment, but that's almost too big, and it also opens the door to all the reasons why I *should* have a clean apartment. No good. Won't work. I have proof: the plan was to spend the entire day yesterday cleaning, so I could have a blissful Sabbath. Did not happen. 48 hours later, I haven't picked up a single thing. Totally frozen up. Man, I'm a mess.

Okay, enough of that. What do I want?

I would like to sleep in a made-up bed. Washed the sheets on Friday (was it last Friday, or the week before?), never put them back on the bed. Going now to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment