Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sabbath Rhythms Accidentally Discovered...Duh...

I'm sure someone else has thought of this....but I don't know if anyone has ever pointed it out to me, and it just dawned on me this week.

About a year ago, I discovered the necessity of a weekly Sabbath. I don't even remember, now, what drove me to it. I just know that I will never go back -- one day a week (right now it's normally Tuesdays), I stop and take time to remember who I am, who I belong to, and what the point of it all really is.

So now I'm at the beginning of a Lenten journey, and I realized...Lent is 50 days long, just short of 1/7 of a year! I know it's not a Biblically mandated thing, but it sure makes sense to me that there would be a period of time each year (and springtime makes good sense!) to refocus and reenergize in some way.

Now, as I work on my routines, I've set aside 60 minutes a day for a mini-Sabbath, and 30 minutes a day to do something that's not on my schedule, preferably something creative, something that "adds to the beauty."

Just did the math: in a 16-hour day (allowing for 8 hours of sleep), 1/7 of that day is just over two hours. So here's what I'm thinkin' -- let's bump that 30 minutes of creative time up to 60 minutes, and I'll have a daily, weekly and yearly rhythm of sabbath!

This could, I suppose, get selfish really fast -- but I don't think that's where this is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment